Before your child reaches the age of seven, it’s crucial that they receive their first orthodontic evaluation. Contrary to some parents’ concerns, this isn’t always going to result in your child receiving braces. Having a visit at this age is vital as most children have already erupted their permanent incisors and molars. This can provide important indicators about how their adult smile develops and reveal if any proactive steps are necessary to address any concerns. When treatment is required at this stage, it’s known as interceptive orthodontics. It’s an essential part of a two-phase process to prevent lengthy and costly care down the road.
Interceptive Orthodontics At Alderwood Children’s Dentistry
Two-phase orthodontics occurs when your child’s oral structures are still developing. By taking action early, your child’s growing tissues can be redirected to correct concerns that can lead to malocclusions. This term refers to tooth size, spacing, position issues, and similar concerns in the jaw or joints. Treatment at this stage can correct the concerns or make final treatments to do so easier at later stages. Approximately 20% of all children can benefit from interceptive orthodontic care. Some indications that your child may benefit include:
- Notable misalignment or crowding of their teeth by age seven
- Premature loss of primary teeth (baby teeth) from decay or injury
- Anterior (front) teeth that protrude and are therefore susceptible to injury
- Skeletal issues including crossbite, underbite, overbite, or open bite
- Clear concerns with speaking, chewing or biting
After your child’s initial visit to Alderwood Children’s Dentistry, your child’s dental provider will consult with you about their findings. They’ll review the x-rays and pictures taken during the exam and explain everything they found. They’ll also review the potential benefits of early orthodontic care for your child. These benefits may include the following:
- Correction of asymmetrical facial development by jaw growth redirection
- Adjustment of protruding teeth to minimize potential future trauma
- Reduce cost and difficulty of future treatment
- Avoid the future need for surgery or dental extractions
- Improve available space for adult teeth, reducing the risk of misalignment
- Avoiding impaction or misdirected eruption of teeth by relieving crowding
- Improve speaking and chewing ability
- Boost self-esteem and confidence in your child
- Cultivation of a stunning smile your child can be proud of
Interceptive Orthodontics is important in helping your child’s smile develop beautifully and healthily. Taking proactive steps to schedule an orthodontic evaluation by age seven is a great way to start this process.
Reach Out To Alderwood Children’s Dentistry To Get Started
Call our office today if you have a child who is seven or older or about to reach their seventh birthday. We’ll arrange for your child to visit for an orthodontic assessment with our team. During this visit, we’ll determine if there are any developing concerns and what steps may be necessary to address them before they become serious. With Alderwood Children’s Dentistry, it’s possible to take proactive steps to prevent the onset of orthodontic health worries in adulthood. Schedule your visit to our office at 19106 33rd Ave W, Suite 1, Lynnwood, WA, today.